I had the pleasure of sharing two of my medicine water recipes on a show called The List! The recipes are very different in flavor and texture, with the mango water being detoxifying and anti-inflammatory, while the prickly pear + rose falls more on the delicate side and is good for your emotional heart. They are both great for glowing skin as they are both hydrating and full of Vitamin C. See the recipes below, and if you want to see The List segment, it’s linked at the bottom of this entry.
MANGO MEDICINE WATER
· 2 cups diced mango
· 3 cups water
· ⅓ cup lime juice
· 1 T. chia seeds
· 1-inch knob of fresh ginger, chopped
· Natural sweetener to taste if needed (honey, stevia)
1. Working in batches if necessary, place all of the ingredients in the pitcher of a blender. Blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. Taste for sweetness, adding natural sweetener if desired. Serve chilled or over ice.
PRICKLY PEAR + ROSE MEDICINE WATER
Blender, fine mesh strainer
· 3 green *prickly pears
· 3 cups water
· 4 large mint leaves
· 1 large lime, juiced
· 1 T. organic, dried rose petals
· Natural sweetener to taste (honey, stevia)
1. Peel prickly pearsby cutting off about ½ inch from each end. Then slice about ¼ inch through from one end to the other lengthwise, cutting through thick skin. Carefully remove the entire skin by hand. It should come off easily in one piece and leave the fruit in-tact.
2. Blend prickly pears and mint with 3 cups water.
3. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into large pitcher. Add lime juice, rose petals, and natural sweetener to taste. Stir.
4. Serve chilled or over ice.
*Green prickly pears, known as tuna in Spanish, can be found at most Mexican grocers along with the more common red prickly pears.